June 3, 2011

CANADIAN PESTO FOCACCIA


YAY!  I did it...I made my very first focaccia!  Pesto Focaccia to be exact.  I think that I took my dearest foccacia for granted whilst living in Italy.  Finding fresh, yummy focaccia in small town Canada is not an easy task.  So tonight, when invited to a dinner with our lover-ly Auntie Bevy, I decided to take it upon myself to try my beloved bread to take along with us.

I must say, I was very surprised at how good it was!  Of course it was topped with loads of Rosemary (not as good or as fragrant as Italian Rosemary, I'll have to admit), olive oil and sea salt (do you see the size of those salt grains??).  Viva Italia in our Canadiana kitchen!


Pesto Focaccia
1 tbsp yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/3 cup olive oil
1 1/4 cups water
2 tbsp pesto

If you have a bread machine like I did, add all ingredients (in this order) to your machine and set for dough or manual.  After the cycle is finished, pat dough out onto a baking sheet until it lays about 1/2" thick.  Leave the dough covered with a tea towel until it rises (about 30 mins).  Once the dough has risen, use your fingertips to make indentations, then drizzle with olive oil and add toppings (rosemary, sea salt...you can even add Gorgonzola, tomatoes, garlic, onions...be creative!).  Bake at 475C for 15-20 mins, or until top is lightly browned.  Ecco!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Happily Ever Affie Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger